First responder radio signal and communications can be significantly impacted by building construction, building size, and other factors. Because of that, it is important that emergency personnel have the ability to communicate in the event of an emergency. The good news is that there is a solution!
Bi-Directional Amplification (BDA) is an Emergency Radio Communication System that provides reliable communication radio transmissions between first responders inside a building, and emergency personnel outside the building. Below is a diagram that shows the potential dead zones that could block emergency signals from getting out.
What Does BDA Service Include?
- Site Surveys
- Maintenance & Service
- Project Management
- Post-Installation Analysis
- Testing and Certification
If a building does not meet the required minimal signal strength of -95db for both incoming and outgoing signals, the only effective solution is the installation of a signal booster (Bi-Directional Amplification).
Today’s codes, like the IBC 2015 Section 916, IFC 2015 & 2018 Section 510, NC Fire Code 2018 Section 510, NFPA 72 2010 & 2013 Editions, NFPA 1221 and UL2524, require all buildings to have approved radio coverage for emergency responders within the building based on the existing coverage levels of the public safety communication systems of the jurisdiction at the exterior of the building. Check with your local code authority to ensure your building is compliant
Sunland Fire Protection is an Elite Partner of Honeywell, for their Gamewell-FCI and NOTIFIER product lines. Sunland partners with Honeywell on BDA equipment because Honeywell currently offers the only UL2524 listed BDA equipment in the industry. Honeywell lists the following features and benefits for addressable Class B BDAs:
- Single portfolio to meet any application across US supporting all public safety frequency bands
- UL2524 In-building 2-Way Emergency Radio Communication Enhancement Systems listing
- CSFM listing
- NFPA 72 2010 Edition, NFPA 1221 2016 Edition and IFC 2018 compliant
- Built-In NOTIFIER Addressable Monitor Module
- Various models available for UHF, VHF,700MHz, 800 MHz and multi-band
- Integrated dual power supply and battery charger with intelligent battery monitoring
- NEMA 4 Type (UL Type-4) Approved Equipment Enclosure
- NEMA 3R Type (UL Type-3R) Approved Battery Enclosure
- Supports higher system gain for efficient link budgeting
To read more about Bi-Directional Amplification from Honeywell, please read more here.
To read more about Sunland Fire Protection and their fire protection services, please read more here.